When you’re suffering from persistent acne, you’re probably willing to try just about anything to make it go away.
That’s why so many people resort to conventional acne treatments filled with harsh chemicals.
People tend to think that if something is natural or plant-based, then it isn’t strong or effective.
This is a huge mistake. Concentrated essential oils and other plant-based substances can provide an effective yet gentle holistic acne treatment.
Plus, natural options have more than one benefit and they work with the body rather than in spite of it.
What Causes Acne?
When the hair follicles become plugged from dead skin cells, keratin, and other debris, that’s when acne forms. This can take the form of whiteheads, blackheads, nodules, or cysts.
In addition to interfering with your self-esteem, acne is also very painful.
Acne comes from bacteria which consumes sebum – an oil your skin excretes. You can’t get rid of all your facial bacteria and sebum. Plus, you wouldn’t want to – they’re both inevitable.
Many environmental factors and condition can cause the skin to produce too much sebum which makes acne more likely to develop. Conditions that cause or trigger acne may include:
- Medical conditions like diabetes or polycystic ovary syndrome
- Hormonal changes from an overactive or underactive thyroid
- Hormonal changes from puberty, pregnancy, or aging
- Chronic dehydration or not moisturizing enough
- Over- or under-exfoliating
- Damaging the skin’s protective surface with harsh products or bad habits like picking
- Using the wrong skincare products
Holistic Acne Treatment Solutions You’ve Got to Try
Natural and holistic acne treatment options work better than conventional treatments in the long run for two reasons:
- They nourish your skin with gentle cleansing, exfoliating, and moisturizing while working with the body to harness its natural healing ability.
- They don’t strip the skin of vital natural oils or damage the skin’s surface.
Your skin absorbs everything you put on top of it. Shouldn’t you feed your skin the same healthy ingredients you feed your body?
Here are some easy, gentle, and effective holistic acne treatment solutions for you to try.
1. Invigorating Antioxidant Mask
Every ingredient in this recipe has its own powerful acne-fighting and skin-soothing properties.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (antioxidants, anti-aging, anti-inflammatory)
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (antibacterial, anti-inflammatory)
- 1 teaspoon no-sugar-added Greek yogurt (skin-tightening and anti-aging)
- 2 drops manuka oil (antibacterial, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antiviral)
Mix in a glass jar or bowl. Apply to your face and let set for 20 minutes before washing off. Make a larger batch to use every day.
2. Give Your Moisturizer or Toner a Boost
Add a few drops of anti-bacterial acne-fighting essential oils to your favorite natural skincare products. Manuka oil, lavender, frankincense, turmeric, and lemon are excellent options due to their powerful acne-fighting and skin-healing properties.
3. Antibacterial Makeup Remover Wipes
It’s important to clean your skin every night before you go to bed. Sleeping in your makeup is one of the worst things you can do for your skin. Even if you don’t wear makeup, gunk and debris can accumulate on your face during the day.
- 20 large cotton rounds
- 2 teaspoons jojoba oil (powerful natural cleanser)
- ½ cup (or more) of witch hazel
- 5 drops each of frankincense, lemon, manuka, and geranium essential oils
Place all ingredients except for cotton rounds into a medium-size mason jar. Shake to combine. Open the jar and add cotton rounds so they absorb equal amounts of the liquid. Use every night before bed.
4. Exfoliating Skin-Nourishing Mask
Lemon oil is a gentle natural cleanser while manuka oil packs a powerful antibacterial and anti-aging punch.
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh basil leaves
- 2 drops each of lemon, lavender, and manuka essential oils
Mix into a bowl or small glass jar. Apply to the face once each day. Store all homemade masks in the refrigerator. Remember that these are natural and organic ingredients, so they can go bad if stored at room temperature.
You can mix all these ingredients yourself
You can mix all these ingredients and experiment with quantities yourself, or you can try some of OTC products that contain them.